Your Frequently Asked Questions


We strongly urge you to purchase airline tickets AFTER you have obtained your visa and confirmed travel conditions to the US from your home country. It may be tempting to buy a ticket early or a non-refundable ticket to save money. If later, you need to make any schedule changes, the purchase of a changeable/refundable airline ticket will ultimately give you flexibility with no added cost. 

Plan to arrive in the US no more than 30 days prior to the program start date on your DS-2019 and in time to attend your host UC orientation program.

Check the calendar and plan any leisure travel for AFTER your study abroad or during holiday breaks. This will give you sufficient time to secure your visa and your housing prior to your expected arrival.

No, UC courses will be in-person and you should plan to arrive in time for orientation and the first day of class.

California is a popular place to live and finding housing can be a challenge. You are strongly encouraged to research your housing options and secure housing prior to arrival.  Housing in such a desirable location is expensive and you should be prepared to budget accordingly.

What you should know:

  • Contracts that you sign will be legally binding so while you are encouraged to apply broadly, only accept one housing offer. 
  • You may apply for campus-housing with no guarantee of assignment and must be prepared to find your own housing in the community. 
  • Be ware of scams- if the price seems too good to be true it is probably a scam. Check with the community housing office to verify the offer.
  • Application fees and deposits may be non-refundable and will be your responsibility.Read all conditions and agreements carefully.

UCEAP will send you application instructions and housing search tips.

Congratulations!  More details about next steps will be sent to you.

In the meantime, here's what you can do: 

View your placement by logging in and selecting the “MyUC” tile in your dashboard. You must click on "Details" to see your host UC campus placement information, notes about your application, and any requests for missing items.

If your application is "pending", it is awaiting approval of participation by a host UC campus or information/documentation is still needed. Submit any requested missing information as soon as possible so as not to delay consideration of your application.

View your placement by logging in and selecting the “MyUC” tile in your dashboard. You must click on "Details" to see your host UC campus placement information, notes about your application, and any requests for missing items.

Log in to your account and select the “MyUC” tile on your dashboard to review the “Notes” and “Additional notes” sections.

Upload any missing documentation using the "Upload Documentation" tile in your dashboard. 

We are constantly receiving missing documents from applicants, so it is not possible to note the receipt of each document the moment it is uploaded. We will let you know if we require additional information. 

For general information, checkout the UC timeline and calendar.

Enrollment instructions, including your student ID number and your enrollment time appointments will be sent to you as soon as they become available.

For information about enrollment, housing, orientation, health insurance and more, see your UC host campus instructions.


If you are unable to enroll through the online registration system, it may be because permission of the instructor is required, or the system does not have access to your educational history and cannot determine if you are qualified to enroll in the course.

Complete and e-mail the Prerequisite Clearance Request form to the departmental advisor/instructor to demonstrate that you met the course prerequisites, and request permission to enroll.
Some courses are limited to a certain category of students (i.e., graduate-level students, students in the major, “by audition” only, students who have completed an earlier segment of a series of courses, students enrolled in special certificate programs, etc.), and it may be necessary to select alternative courses.

Due to space limitations, it is not possible to place all students at their first choice UC. Your placement at a UC other than your first choice does not infer any negative judgment of your academic ability. We take very seriously your need to make progress toward your degree objectives while studying abroad and have placed your application at a UC campus that offers coursework in your area of interest.

We are confident that your studies at UC will be an amazing experience and look forward to seeing you in California!

As a J-1 student, you are part of the US Exchange Visitor Program which promotes learning and understanding between people of the United States and other countries through cultural exchange. As part of your exchange, you are required to complete an orientation for international students.

The orientation will position you for success in your studies and jump start your UC experience!

Sign your acceptance letter as soon as it appears. The letter confirms the no-fee/non-degree reciprocity student terms and conditions of your participation and how long you intend to study at UC.  Both are an important first step in the issue of your DS-2019, and you will need the letter for your visa application. 

There is no UCEAP financial penalty if your plans change after you have signed the acceptance letter. Check with your home university to receive advise about any financial consequence of changes or withdrawal. 

See also "How do I withdraw from the exchange?" below for more information about possible housing and travel costs.

Any changes in the duration of your exchange studies - making it shorter or longer - must be approved by your home university international office, your host UC department, and UCEAP. Contact your home university and UCEAP as early as possible with your request.

We understand that these are exceptional times and you may experience delays in getting your visa in time to travel to UC by the start of the term. If you have a delay, contact your home university international office and UCEAP.

You should arrange your schedule to be available in time for the first day of instruction. No matter where you are, it is critical that you keep up with instruction so that you don't get behind in your classes.

If you have a delay due to home university exams, ask your home university if you are eligible to take your exams early or remotely. 

Contact UCEAP and your home university international office as soon as possible. We will inform your host UC campus of your withdrawal but you are responsible for canceling any travel and housing arrangements. Contact your housing provider directly about your decision and confirm any financial obligations outlined in your contract.