UCEAP RECIPROCITY ADMISSIONS
This Reciprocity Admissions Privacy Notice explains how the University of California Education Abroad Program ("UCEAP", "we", or "us") collects and processes your Personal Data in connection with your UCEAP admissions process; how we use, store, transfer, and protect this Personal Data; and your rights in relation to this Personal Data.
"Personal Data" is any information that enables us to identify you, directly or indirectly, by reference to an identifier such as your name, identification number, location data, online identifier, or one or more factors specific to your physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural, or social identity.
This Privacy Notice applies to all Personal Data we collect or process about you in the context of the UCEAP reciprocity admissions process. This notice will inform you of:
• Who we are;
• How to contact us;
• How we collect Personal Data;
• How we use Personal Data;
• Who has access to Personal Data;
• Transfer of Personal Data outside of the European Economic Area;
• How we store and protect Personal Data;
• How to exercise your rights; and
• Changes to this Privacy Notice.
Who we are
For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”), The Regents of the University of California ("University" or "UC") of 1111 Franklin Street, Oakland, California 94607, is the data controller for all Personal Data that it holds and processes, except where it is done in the capacity of a data processor on behalf of another data controller.
How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about this Privacy Notice, please contact us by phone at +1 (805) 893-4762, by sending an email to email@example.com, or by mail to 6950 Hollister Avenue, Suite 200, Goleta, California 93117.
How we collect Personal Data
UCEAP obtains Personal Data about you in the following ways:
- Collected from you directly, such as when you submit an inquiry to UCEAP, participate in admissions events, provide your contact details, or when you apply to our programs or register as a student with UCEAP.
- Generated by us about you, such as information we create in the context of evaluating and processing your application.
- Obtained by us from third party sources, such as your home institution and other academic institutions as well as foreign and domestic service providers.
CATEGORIES OF PERSONAL DATA THAT WE MAY COLLECT DIRECTLY FROM YOU
- Personal details, such as your name and city of birth, and languages spoken.
- Contact information, such as your home address, email address, and phone numbers.
- Demographic details, such as gender, national origin, and current nationality.
- Immigration and Identification information, such as your visa, your social security or tax identification number, passport number, or other government-issued identification number.
- Student records, such as grades, transcripts, test scores, courses taken and other academic records, general counselling and advising records, and disciplinary records.
- Emergency contact details, such as you may provide.
- Health and safety information, including information regarding health conditions, mobility disabilities, and special needs accommodations.
- Travel Information, such as locations and dates of travel.
Visiting scholars only:
- Employment information, such as past employer data and other information as needed for work study or employment opportunities through the University of California.
CATEGORIES OF PERSONAL DATA THAT WE MAY GENERATE ABOUT YOU
- Applicant records, which are those records related to the creation of your Reciprocity login and account, and decision and selection outcomes.
CATEGORIES OF PERSONAL DATA THAT WE MAY OBTAIN FROM THIRD PARTIES ABOUT YOU
- Student records, such as test scores, transcripts and student conduct information submitted by testing agencies, former schools, and colleges and universities.
- Health Information, such as may be provided by academic exchange partners and other providers to accommodate disability and other health needs.
SPECIAL CATEGORIES OF PERSONAL DATA THAT WE MAY COLLECT AND USE
Some of the categories of Personal Data that we may collect are considered “special categories” of Personal Data under European Union law. In particular, we may process the following special categories of Personal Data:
- Health information, such as may be processed to accommodate disability and other health needs.
How we use Personal Data
UCEAP uses your personal information in connection with your application for the following purposes:
- To provide you with information related to applying to UCEAP programs. This is generally required to process a request made by you.
- To verify information, evaluate, and process your application. Our basis for doing so is to meet our contractual obligations or legitimate interests to consider your application and take steps to enter into a contract.
- To inform you about UCEAP programs and opportunities. This processing is necessary to serve our legitimate interest.
- Processing and dealing with any complaints or inquiries made by you or legally on your behalf. This processing is necessary for defense of legal claims.
- For purposes of research and statistical analysis. This processing is necessary to serve our legitimate interest in identifying trends, improving our programs, and to promote access and diversity.
PURPOSES AND LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING SPECIAL CATEGORIES OF DATA
- Health data. In the case of information relating to disability or other accommodations, we process such data to provide learning assistance, mobility, and other necessary accommodations. Our basis for doing so is compliance with social obligations laws or where there is a substantial public interest in providing such services or accommodations. Additionally, in some contexts we may rely on your express consent to process such data.
Who has access to Personal Data
We treat your Personal Data with care and confidentiality. Your Personal Data will only be available for the purposes mentioned above and only to employees on a need to know basis and to the extent reasonably necessary to perform their functions.
We may share your Personal Data with third parties under the following circumstances:
- University of California. We may share certain Personal Data about you with other UC locations or departments in order to provide you with a UC service or where it is in UC's legitimate interest.
- Service providers and business partners. We may share your Personal Data with service providers or business partners including host institutions, other partners, suppliers, and sub-contractors for the performance of obligations arising from your enrollment, or any other contract we enter into with them or you or to provide you with the information and services that you obtain from us.
- Law enforcement agencies, courts, regulators, government authorities or other third parties. We may share your Personal Data with these parties where we believe this is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation, or otherwise to protect our rights or the rights of any third party.
Because the University of California is located in the U.S., the recipients referred to above may be located outside the jurisdiction in which you are located (or in which we provide the services). Please refer to the section below on “Transfer of Personal Data outside of the European Economic Area” for more information.
Transfer of Personal Data outside of the European Economic Area
Your Personal Data may be transferred to, stored, and processed in a country (such as the United States, where the University of California is located) that is not regarded as ensuring an adequate level of protection for Personal Data under European Union law.
We have put in place appropriate safeguards (such as contractual commitments) in accordance with applicable legal requirements to ensure that your data is adequately protected. For more information on the appropriate safeguards in place, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How we store and protect Personal Data
We implement technical and organizational measures to ensure a level of security appropriate to the risk to the Personal Data we process. These measures are aimed at ensuring the ongoing integrity and confidentiality of Personal Data. We evaluate these measures on a regular basis to ensure the security of the processing.
We will store your Personal Data, in a form which permits us to identify you, for no longer than is necessary for the purpose for which the Personal Data is processed. Retention timelines will be determined in line with the University’s records retention schedule found at recordsretention.ucop.edu.
How to exercise your rights
Where applicable under local law, you may have certain rights regarding your Personal Data. Where applicable, you have the right to access Personal Data UCEAP holds, and in some situations you have the right to have that Personal Data corrected or updated, erased, restricted, or delivered to you or a third party in a usable electronic format (the right to data portability). Where applicable, you may also object to how UCEAP uses your Personal Data if the legal basis for processing that information is our legitimate interest.
Where we are using your Personal Data on the basis of your consent, where applicable under local law, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. You also have the right to register a complaint to the supervisory data protection authority of the country in which you are a resident, where applicable.
If you wish to exercise these rights or to notify us of a change in your personal details, or if you have any questions on the content of this Notice, please contact us at email@example.com.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
Any changes we make to our Privacy Notice in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified to you by email.