Frequently Asked Questions

If you are a registered student at one of UC's partner universities, go to your international/study abroad office and ask about applying. UCEAP cannot authorize your application; you must be nominated by your home university international/study abroad office. See UC systemwide partner universities.

If you are not a student at one of UC's partner universities, consider enrolling independently in UC summer sessions.

If you already have a four-year bachelor's degree, you are not eligible to attend UC as an undergraduate.

You may begin your studies at UC fall (August/September) term or the January (spring semester or winter quarter) term.  You may not begin your studies at UC spring quarter (April). 

The statement is your opportunity to write about your interests and motivation to apply for the exchange, describe your academic experience, any personal or academic challenges, and what you hope to contribute as an exchange student at the University of California. Use the statement to tell us anything about yourself that is not reflected in your academic records.

Applications are reviewed based on many factors including the availability of your major, study plans, available coursework, English-language proficiency scores and academic background. We are unfortunately not able to place all applicants at their first choice campus. Carefully research your alternative campus choices so we can have as much information as possible about your objectives and identify a campus that is the right fit for you.

If you are planning to enroll in UC courses that require specific knowledge and academic experience, plan to complete the required prerequisites at your home university before you arrive.

Though you are not limited to courses in your host UC major department and may attend courses in other departments, be prepared to take the majority of your courses in one of your majors.

If you must complete specific courses to meet requirements for your degree, consult with your home university academic advisor about whether study abroad is the right choice for you at this time.

The schedule of classes (list of course offerings for the term) is published midway through the preceding academic term. The course catalog provides information on courses offered in the past. Consult past and current schedules of classes to see the terms when a particular course has most often been offered. Some departments post a tentative schedule of projected courses for the year.

The study plans are a tool for placement and advising only. You will not automatically be enrolled in the courses you select and we cannot guarantee that a specific course will be offered or available while you are an exchange participant.

We understand that your plans may change, but your placement will be most successful if you provide a comprehensive listing of your academic goals at UC.

You may contact the instructor or department academic advisor directly, however, there is no standard or requirement for the class syllabus to be published and shared. UC instructors consider syllabi to be their intellectual property and may not make the syllabus publicly available except to the enrolled students at the time the class starts. See Discover UC for course descriptions in the course catalog, schedule of classes and department webpages.

Maybe. Independent study and research project work can only be coordinated by you with the approval of the instructor. Together you will determine the study objectives, meeting structure, readings and final written work. Most students find it easier to coordinate an independent study project for their second or third term of the exchange. If you need to work on a thesis or do research, this is a way to receive UC credits and benefit from mentorship.

Senior seminars are generally small, honors level courses for highly motivated students who are prepared for higher level, independent work and collaboration. The instructor must authorize your enrollment.

The focus of the undergraduate exchange program is academic courses numbered 1-199.  Courses from 100-199 are courses for more advanced students. You may take graduate courses (numbered 200 and above) only if you receive the instructor's permission to enroll. Some campuses and departments do not allow undergraduates to enroll in graduate courses or limit enrollment to one graduate course per term. You must respect any restrictions that apply.