Before you Arrive at UC Berkeley
UCEAP Reciprocity Information
Berkeley Global Reciprocity Student advisor
Contact your advisor: Michelle Gurlin
Visa & Immigration Information
Berkeley International Office (BIO)
2150 Shattuck Ave. Suite 500
International Student Resources
Reciprocity Student Resources
- Housing is not guaranteed.
- A campus housing rental agreement lasts through the end of the academic year (June). If you leave your housing before the end of the agreement, you may be subject to a cancellation fee. Rental agreements in the community may last through August 31, and may not allow for cancellation. Check all terms and conditions before making a commitment.
- If you apply for more than one housing option, accept only one. You will be financially responsible for all agreements you accept.
Find Housing through the Berkeley International Office (BIO). Explore a wide range of resources for new international students arriving at UC Berkeley.
International House (UC Affiliated Housing)
Application notes: For "University role" select "EAP Undergraduate"; Print and submit a copy of your UCEAP letter from the dashboard in your account.
Residence Halls and University Apartments (UC Housing)
Explore Campus Housing
Contact Campus Housing
Consider giving priority to apartment living when ranking your choices. Improve your housing application success by choosing "any room type, any location" in your list of housing preferences. Few singles are available.
Student Housing Cooperatives (UC Affiliated Housing)
Berkeley Student Cooperative (BSC)
Before you apply
- You will be added to the waiting list when you pay the $25 registration fee and create an application. You will receive an offer as space becomes available.
- Identify yourself as a UCEAP Reciprocity student to benefit from priority status on the wait list.
Featured Housing option: Cloyne Court - substance-free academic theme house.
Community Housing (Non-UC Housing)
We strongly urge you to purchase airline tickets AFTER you have obtained your visa and confirmed travel conditions to the US from your home country. When you do purchase a ticket, purchase a refundable/changeable ticket.
When should I arrive?
No later than
- Fall: August 15, 2023
- Spring: To be announced
No earlier than
- Fall: July 17, 2023
- Spring: December 10, 2023
Arrive no more than 30 days prior to the date printed on your visa certificate of eligibility (DS-2019).
Start Date on Certificate of Eligibility (DS-2019)
- Fall: August 16, 2023
- Spring: January 9, 2024
Golden Bear arrival orientation
- Fall: August 16 to 21, 2023
- Spring: January 11 to 14, 2024
Golden Bear Prep online orientation and EverFi Safe and Inclusive Campus training
- Fall: July 18 to August 11, 2023
- Spring: December 5 to January 7, 2023
Fee: $320 (subject to change)
Berkeley International Office (BIO)
- Date: August 9, 2023
- Time: 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Spring: January- To be announced
Follow instructions to update your address and to upload your I-94 arrival record.
Deadline: Prior to the first day of class
- Date: August 16, 2023
- Time: 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Location: Dwinelle 155/145 and Dwinelle Plaza
- Spring: January- To be announced
iStart 101 for International Students
Complete the online orientation course and short quizzes to prepare for your studies at Cal. Contact BIO if you do not receive an invitation by email.
Deadline: Completion of iStart is a required part of the document check.
BIO Informational and Social Events
Take advantage of BIO events (campus, library, best coffee, best ice cream, botanical gardens, shopping tips, and more). Get involved with physical activities through Cal Recreation, hike to the Big C and even take a workshop on one of Cal’s favorite sports “American Football 101”.
iSTART Cal Edition
Get the App for your phone!
Co-Op Move-In: Day prior to the start of contract; To arrange an earlier date, check with your manager.
Temporary Accommodation (Non-UC Housing)
Ground Transport to Campus
- Department links
- Schedule of Classes - See also the Open and suggested courses
- Course catalog
- CalCentral Schedule Planner tutorial
- Prerequisite Clearance Request from
- Enrollment calendar
- Enrollment Instructions
- UCB DeCal - Need to add just 1 or 2 units? The DeCal program offers student-initiated courses in cooperation with faculty to broaden the education and university experience of all Cal students. Courses often address current popular subjects of interest to international students.
About ID Numbers at UC Berkeley
Students must have a CalNet ID and PassPhrase to enroll. You will use the ID to create your CalNet ID and passphrase.
- CalNet ID = your online identity at UC Berkeley. It does not have to be a number and will be your campus email address when combined with @berkeley.edu.
- PassPhrase = a secret phrase that you create that must be used together with your CalNet ID in order to access secure campus websites. You create your passphrase at the same time that you create your CalNet ID.
- Student Identification number (ID) = 10-digit number that is assigned by UCB to every new student. This ID is used by UC as your unique identifying number.
CalNet 2-step verification keeps your information safe.
Registering for Classes
Fall: July -To be announced (9 a.m. through 12:00 p.m. PST); All times are California time. Confirm your local time.
Spring: November- To be announced (9 a.m. through 12:00 p.m. PST); All times are California time. Confirm your local time.
- See your appointment dates and times on CalCentral's "My Academics" dashboard.
- Enrollment limit is 17.5 semester units. This includes waitlisted units.
- Fall: August -To be announced (9:00 a.m. PST) through the add/drop deadline (11:59 p.m. PST)
- Spring: January- To be announced (9:00 a.m. PST) through the add/drop deadline (11:59 p.m. PST)
Enrollment in 19.5-20.5 units is allowed (see the enrollment maximum for your college), but enrollment in more than 17-18 units is not recommended.
Include information regarding your academic preparation for any course prerequisites using the prerequisite clearance request form. Be prepared to provide your transcript and English translations of course syllabi from your home university.
- College advisor contact and enrollment by college
- College of Engineering enrollment information
- College of Letters and Science enrollment information
- College of Chemistry (including Chemical Engineering)
- Departmental advisors (Look under advising or people link)
Graduate students usually register after consultation with the department’s graduate advisor. Check with your host department for registration advising.
Check your account regularly to pay your fees and avoid late fees.
- Log-in to access your dashboard: CalCentral
- Golden Bear Orientation: $320 fee (subject to change) will be added to your account and covers all activities in this comprehensive week-long orientation.
- IREF (Instructional Resilience and Enhancement fee) materials fee: $106 each semester
- Document Management fee: $68 (subject to change) one-time fee eliminates charges for individual document requests and provides students with unlimited transcripts, petitions, verifications of enrollment and more.
- UCSA (UC Student Association) fee: $7 ($3.50 each semester); this fee is not mandatory, and you may opt-out (choose to not participate) before the deadline.
- Opt-out deadline: prior to the end of week five of the term
- Health Insurance Fees: Fees will be billed to your account each semester. See Health Insurance & Services information below.
Billing Questions Contact
Phone: +1510 664 9181
2023-2024 costs and information are listed below.
Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
You will automatically be enrolled in your host university health insurance plan. No action is required.
- Undergraduates: $1,984 each semester
- Graduates: $3,186 each semester
- Friday prior to the start of instruction
- Fall: August 18, 2023
- Spring: January 12, 2024
- Fall: August 1 - December 31, 2023
- Spring: January 1 - July 31, 2024
* If you are a registered student during spring quarter or semester, your spring SHIP fee provides coverage through the end of summer.
Immunizations and TB Screening
COVID-19 - Complete as soon as possible. You will have an enrollment hold until you clear this requirement.
Deadlines (TB and Non-COVID Immunizations)
- Fall: July 31, 2023
- Spring: December 31, 2023
- A late fee will apply for submissions after the deadline.
*The customer Service Center will be closed during the end of year holiday break.
To waive SHIP, you must apply for waiver by submitting documentation of comparable health insurance. Waiver must be approved by your host UC.
- Waiver information
- Waiver decision tools
- Waiver criteria
- Waiver worksheet
- Glossary of insurance terms
- Fall: May 1 to July 17, 2023
- Waiver application $75 late fee will apply July 18 - August 15, 2023; No applications will be accepted after August 15.
- Spring: January 1, 2024 (to be determined)
- Waiver application $75 late fee will apply after January 1. No applications will be accepted after January 15.
NOTE: Recipients of a waiver in the fall do not need to re-apply for spring.
Contact UC Berkeley SHIP
Phone: +1510 642 5700
UCB Mascot: Oski the Bear