BEFORE YOU ARRIVE AT UC Santa Barbara
UCEAP Reciprocity Information
Education Abroad Program
2431 South Hall
Reciprocity Student Resources
Facebook group for 2022-23 coming soon!
Visa & Immigration Information
- Housing is not guaranteed.
- A campus housing rental agreement lasts through the end of the academic year (June). If you leave your housing before the end of the agreement, you may be subject to a cancellation fee. Rental agreements in the community may last through August 31, and may not allow for cancellation. Check all terms and conditions before making a commitment.
- If you apply for more than one housing option, accept only one. You will be financially responsible for all agreements you accept.
Residence halls and University Housing (UC Housing)
Application Instructions: You do not need to submit a SIR (Statement of Intent to Register); this is done on your behalf by UCEAP.
After you submit your application, you may update or make changes until the deadline.Late applicants will be added to a waiting list.
Application period: Application will open April 25, 2023.
- Apply as soon as you receive your NetID and set up your Umail account.
- Fall deadline: June 15, 2023
- Winter deadline: November 12, 2023
Tropicana Student-Living Communities (UC-Affiliated Housing)
- UCSB ID number will be requested but is not required for you to apply.
Student Housing Cooperatives (Non-UC Housing)
Application Deadline: First-come, first-served basis. Add your name to the waitlist.
Community Housing (Non-UC housing)
The off-campus Rental Listing Service is free to currently enrolled UCSB students. Students can search and/or submit listings for off-campus housing. Check with CHO staff about their list of preferred providers for UCEAP students.
Facebook housing pages administered and monitored by UCSB staff.
- UCSB EAP Housing (private group)- Connect NOW with outbound UCSB students with housing to sublease.
- UCSB Housing (private group)
- IV Housing for UCSB Students (private group)
- UCSB Housing Search (private group)
- UCSB University and Community Housing Services (public page with events and announcements)
We strongly urge you to purchase airline tickets AFTER you have obtained your visa and confirmed travel conditions to the US from your home country. When you do purchase a ticket, purchase a refundable/changeable ticket.
When should I arrive?
No later than
- Fall: September 27, 2023
- Winter: January 7, 2024
No earlier than
- Fall: August 29, 2023
- Winter: December 9, 2023
You may arrive no more than 30 days prior to the start date printed on your visa certificate of eligibility (DS-2019). Students who do not have pre-arranged housing are advised to arrive as early as possible.
Start Date on Certificate of Eligibility (DS-2019)
- Fall: September 28, 2023
- Winter: January 8, 2024
Office of International Students and Scholars Events
CALI is another way to say California, and it also stands for Cultural Awareness, Laws, and Immigration--issues that have special importance for international students. You must complete the online CALI training but are not required to attend UCSB new student orientation. You are invited to attend mandatory webinars, video tutorials and will receive email newsletters.
- Fall: Online Webinar - August 12, 2023, 8:00 a.m. or 6:00 p.m. (attend only one)
- Winter: Online Webinar Recording - You will receive instructions by email
Orientation Fee: $75 (subject to change)
UCSBGlobal address update
Deadline: On arrival at UCSB
Update your local address and phone number.
Gaucho On-Line address update
Deadline: On arrival at UCSB
Update your local addrss and phone number in GOLD
- Fall: September 29, 2023; 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at Student Resources Building (SRB) lawn and barbeque area. Register Here.
- Winter: January 11, 2024; 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at Student Resources Building (SRB) lawn and barbeque area. Register Here.
Temporary Accommodation (UC-Housing)
On-campus house (Check back after July 20, 2023) This low-cost, on-campus option is available only to UCSB students with valid PERM numbers who are seeking permanent local housing or while they wait for their fall housing to begin. Rooms are booked on a first-come, first-served basis.
Temporary Accommodation (Non-UC Housing)
Ground Transport to Campus
Costs and times are subject to change.
- Department links
- Class schedule
- Course catalog
- U-Mail Account University correspondence will be sent to this account.
- Enrollment (Check out this video for tips on selecting courses -GOLD 101 video; Coments about general elective courses do not apply to you as a non-degree student.)
- Waitlist Policy (Enrollment in 12 units is required before you can add your name to a waitlist.)
- Prerequisite Clearance Request Form
- Enrollment calendars
- Information on prerequisite for upper-division standing
About ID Numbers at UC Santa Barbara
Your perm number is your UCSB student identification number. Use it to create your UCSBnetID and activate your Umail account. You will need both your UCSBnetID and Umail to get started on registration, so complete these tasks right away.
Multi-factor authentication keeps your information safe.
Registering for Classes
Plan to register at the beginning of your pass times to take full advantage of allotted time for registration.
- Enrollment period begins
- Fall: May 23, 2023 to September 6, 2023
- Winter: November 6, 2023 to November 12, 2023
- Next enrollment period begins
- Fall: September 11, 2023 to December 8, 2023
- Winter: November 13, 2023 to November 21, 2023
All times are California time.
- View your appointment time in GOLD. Select "Registration", then select the enrollment term.
- Locate the course in GOLD under "Find Courses".
- Select "Course Info" to check if the course has any prerequisites or restrictions.
- Using your Umail account, contact the academic advisor or instructor to request permission to enroll (consult the listing of department webpages for the undergraduate department advisor contact information).
- Include your PERM number with your request.
- Include information regarding your academic preparation for any course prerequisites using the prerequisite clearance request form. Be prepared to provide your transcript and English translations of course syllabi from your home university.
Advising for specific majors
- Biology: Contact the course instructor directly to request prerequisite clearance. The instructor might ask to speak with you during the first week of instruction to clear prerequisites.
- Economics majors: Contact the department for assistance with enrollment. Enrollment is restricted to students who are economics majors at their home university.
- Engineering: contact information and enrollment instructions
- Psychological and Brain Sciences majors: Contact PBS Advising for assistance with enrollment. You will not be able to enroll through GOLD in this major. Send a Umail with your request listing your top four course choices. Visit the department webpages for information about waitlists, prerequisites, and more. Use the projected course list to plan your schedule.
- Sociology: If a course requires enrollment authorization, contact the course instructor directly.
- Technology Management Program: Contact TMP Advising with your enrollment request.
Graduate students usually register after consultation with the department’s graduate advisor. Check with your host department for registration advising.
Check your account regularly to pay your fees and avoid late fees.
- Log-in to access the Billing Accounts Receivable Collections (BARC) portal: BARC
- International Student Orientation Fee: $75 (subject to change) will be billed to your account.
- College of Letters and Sciences Technologies Fee (Tech Fee): $2.50 per unit fee is capped at 15 units (for a maximum of $37.50) is assessed only to courses in the College of Letters and Science. The fee will be billed to your student account after the course add/drop deadline in the fourth week of the term.
- ACCESS (IDcard): $30 will be billed to your student account.
- UCSA (UC Student Association) fee: $7; this fee is not mandatory, and you may opt-out (choose to not participate).
- Health Insurance Fees: Fees will be billed to your account each quarter. See Health Insurance and Services information below.
2023-2024 costs and information are listed below.
Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
You will automatically be enrolled in your host university health insurance plan. No action is required.
- Undergraduates: $1,064 each quarter
- Graduates: $2,067 each quarter
Students may pay insurance fees at the cashier’s office on arrival. Fees should be paid by the end of the first week of classes.
- Fall: September 24, 2023 - January 6, 2024
- Winter: January 7, 2024 - March 30, 2024
- Spring*: March 31, 2024 - September 21, 2024
*If you are a registered student spring quarter, your spring SHIP fee provides coverage through the end of the summer.
Immunization and TB Screening
- Fall: Prior to arrival on campus
- Winter: Prior to arrival on campus.
To waive SHIP, you must apply for waiver by submitting documentation of comparable health insurance. Waiver must be approved by your host UC.
- Waiver Information
- Waiver Criteria
- Glossary of Insurance Terms
- Information for International Students
- Fall: July 31, 2023 - October 2, 2023 (submissions after October 16 will be subject to a $50 late fee)
- Winter: November 1, 2023 - January 2, 2024 (submissions after January 15 will be subject to a $50 late fee)
- Spring: February 1, 2024 - April 1, 2024 (submissions after April 15 will be subject to a $50 late fee)