BEFORE YOU ARRIVE AT UC Santa Barbara
UCEAP Reciprocity Information
Education Abroad Program
2431 South Hall
Reciprocity Student Resources
Visa & Immigration Information
- Housing is not guaranteed.
- Rental agreement last through the end of the academic year (June). If you leave your housing before the end of the agreement, you may be subject to a cancellation fee. Check all terms and conditions.
- If you apply for more than one housing option, accept only one. You will be financially responsible for all agreements you accept.
Residence halls and University Housing (UC Housing)
Application Instructions:You do not need to submit a SIR (Statement of Intent to Register); this is done on your behalf by UCEAP.
If you submit multiple applications, the last one submitted will be considered active. Late applicants will be added to a waiting list.
- Fall: June 7, 2019 to June 14, 2019 at 4 p.m.
- Winter: Waitlist opens - to be announced
Student Housing Cooperatives (Non-UC Housing)
Santa Barbara Student Housing Co-Ops
Application Deadline: First-come, first-served basis. Add your name to the waitlist.
Community Housing (Non-UC housing)
The Off-campus Rental Listing Service is free to currently enrolled UCSB students. Students can search and/or submit listings for off-campus housing. Check with CHO staff about their list of preferred providers for UCEAP students.
California Housing Board
When should I arrive?
No later than
- Fall: September 22, 2019
- Winter: To be announced
No earlier than
- Fall: August 27, 2019
- Winter: December 7, 2019
You may arrive no more than 30 days prior to the start date printed on your visa certificate of eligibility (DS-2019). Students who do not have pre-arranged housing are advised to arrive as early as possible.
Start Date on Certificate of Eligibility (DS-2019)
- Fall: September 26, 2019
- Winter: January 6, 2020
Office of International Students and Scholars Events
CALI stands for California, and it also stands for Cultural Awareness, Laws, and Immigration--issues that have special importance for international students.
Date: September 23, 2019
Time: 9:00 a.m.
Location: Corwin Pavilion, Map
Orientation Fee: $50
Online CALI Training
Deadline: Complete before the In-Person CALI Training
New Student Check-in
Date: During the CALI Training
Time: 8:30 a.m.
Instructions: Bring your passport and DS-2019 with you.
Date: To be announced
Location: To be announced
University-owned Housing: September 21, 2019
Temporary Accommodation (Non-UC Housing)
- UCSB Student Hotel
- Located on campus, this hostel style accommodation is only $57 per night, per person.
- UCSB Visitor Center
Ground Transport to Campus
Costs and times are subject to change.
- Department links
- Class schedule
- Course catalog
- U-Mail Account University correspondence will be sent to this account.
- Prerequisite Clearance Request Form
- Enrollment calendars
About ID Numbers at UC Santa Barbara
Your perm number is your UCSB student identification number. Use it to create your UCSBnetID and activate your Umail account. You will need both your UCSBnetID and Umail to get started on registration and apply for housing, so complete these tasks right away.
Registering for Classes
- Initial pass period: June 3 - September 11, 2019 (11:45 p.m.)
- Next pass period: begins September 21, 2019 (8:45 p.m.)
All times are California time.
- View your appointment time in GOLD. Select "Registration", then select the enrollment term.
- Locate the course in GOLD under "Find Courses".
- Select "Course Info" to check if the course has any prerequisites or restrictions.
- Using your Umail account, contact the academic advisor or instructor to request permission to enroll (consult the listing of department webpages for the undergraduate department advisor contact information).
- Include your PERM number with your request.
- Include information regarding your academic preparation for any course prerequisites using the prerequisite clearance request form. Be prepared to provide your transcript and English translations of course syllabi from your home university.
Advising for specific majors
- Biology: Contact the course instructor directly to request prerequisite clearance. The instructor might ask to speak with you during the first week of instruction to clear prerequisites.
- Economics majors: Contact the department for assistance with enrollment. Enrollment is restricted to students who are economics majors at their home university.
- Engineering: contact information and enrollment instructions
- Psychological and Brain Sciences majors: Contact PBS Advising for assistance with enrollment. You will not be able to enroll through GOLD in this major. Send a Umail with your request listing your top four course choices. Visit the department webpages for information about waitlists, prerequisites, and more. Use the projected course list to plan your schedule.
- Sociology: If a course requires enrollment authorization, contact the course instructor directly.
- Technology Management Program: Contact TMP Advising with your enrolment request.
Graduate students usually register after consultation with the department’s graduate advisor. Check with your host department for registration advising.
Check your account regularly to pay your fees and avoid late fees.
- Log-in to access the Billing Accounts Receivable Collections (BARC) portal: BARC
- International Student Orientation Fee: $50 will be billed to your account; orientation includes refreshments.
- College of Letters and Sciences Technologies Fee (Tech Fee): $2.50 per unit fee is capped at 15 units (for a maximum of $37.50) is assessed only to courses in the College of Letters and Science. The fee will be billed to your student account in the fourth week after the course add/drop deadline.
- Health Insurance Fees: Fees will be billed to your account each quarter. See Health Insurance and Services information below.
2019-2020 costs and information are listed below.
Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
You will automatically be enrolled in your host university health insurance plan. No action is required.
- Undergraduates: $1,179 each quarter
- Graduates: $1,373 each quarter
Students may pay insurance fees at the cashier’s office on arrival. Fees should be paid by the end of the first week of classes.
- Fall: September 22, 2019 - January 5, 2020
- Winter: January 6, 2020 -March 29, 2020
- Spring*: March 30, 2020 -September 26, 2020
*If you are a registered student spring quarter, your spring SHIP fee provides coverage through the end of the summer.
Immunization and TB Screening
- Fall: September 1, 2019
- Winter: January 1, 2020
To waive SHIP, you must apply for waiver by submitting documentation of comparable health insurance. Waiver must be approved by your host UC.
- Fall: September 21, 2019 (accepted September 1-21 with $50 late fee)
- Winter: January 5, 2020 (accepted December 1- January 5 with $50 late fee)
- Spring: March 29, 2020 (accepted March 1-29 with $50 late fee)