BEFORE YOU ARRIVE AT UC MERCED
UCEAP Reciprocity Information
Visa and Immigration Information
- Housing is not guaranteed.
- Rental agreements last through the end of the academic year (June). If you leave your housing before the end of the agreement, you may be subject to a cancellation fee. Check all terms and conditions.
- If you apply for more than one housing option, accept only one. You will be financially responsible for all agreements you accept.
On-Campus Housing (UC Housing)
Application Deadline: Apply as soon as you receive your UCMNetID. Apply as a transfer level student.
Even if the deadline has passed, there still may be places available in campus housing. E-mail the assignments office if you are interested in applying for housing after the announced deadline. For the best chance of placement, include "any room type, any location" in your list of housing preferences.
Community Housing (Non-UC Housing)
Students should be aware that this housing is not UC sponsored or endorsed and that it is not advisable to rent before arrival when you can visit the rental in person.
Finding a Place
- Off-Campus Housing Frequently Asked Questions
- Off-Campus Housing Search Database
- Finding Apartments in the Merced area
Finding a Roommate
- Off-Campus Housing Search Database
"Roommate Wanted" is one of the listing and search features in this database.
- UC Merced International Center Facebook page
California Housing Board
We strongly urge you to purchase airline tickets AFTER you have obtained your visa and confirmed travel conditions to the US from your home country. When you do purchase a ticket, purchase a refundable/changeable ticket.
When should I arrive?
No later than
- Fall: To be announced (not applicable)
- Spring: To be announced (not applicable)
No earlier than
- Fall: July 27, 2020 (not applicable)
- Spring: December 20, 2020 (not applicable)
You may arrive no more than 30 days prior to the start date printed on your visa certificate of eligibility (DS-2019). Students who do not have pre-arranged housing should arrive as early as possible.
Start Date on Certificate of Eligibility (DS-2019)
- Fall: August 26, 2020
- Spring: To be announced
Fall: To be announced
Spring: To be announced
Take the following to the check-in and orientation meeting:
- DS-2019 form
- I-94 form - a document you download from the Customs and Border Protection website after your arrival in the U.S.
Residence Hall Move-In Date
Check your housing contract. Earlier move-in by arrangement is possible, check with Housing.
Temporary Accommodation Information
Costs are subject to change.
Ground Transport to Campus
Costs and times are subject to change.
- Department links
- Class schedule
- Course catalog
- Enrollment instructions
- Registration error help
- Enrollment calendar
- Prerequisite clearance request form
- Use MyUCMerced to access your student account and enroll in courses.
- Once you receive your SID, click the "First Time Users, claim your UCMNetID" link.
- SID (Student Identification) is a 9-digit number assigned by UCM to every new student.
- UCMNetID is a unique identifier that you claim using your SID number and other required personal information to confirm your identity.
You will need Duo 2-factor authentication to access your UCM account.
Registering for Classes
- Enrollment Time- Check "MyRegistration" in your MyUCMerced account for your appointment time. All times are California time.
Advisor Contact Information:
- School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts (SSHA)
- School of Natural Sciences
- School of Engineering
Graduate students usually register after consultation with the department’s graduate advisor. Check with your host department for registration advising.
2020-2021 costs and information are listed below.
Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
You will automatically be enrolled in your host university health insurance plan. No action is required.
- Fall: $957.96 (undergraduates); $1,342.82 (graduates)
- Spring/Summer*: $1,341.16 (undergraduates); $1,879.96 (graduates)
- Fall: August 15, 2020 - January 14, 2021
- Spring/Summer*: January 15, 2021 - August 14, 2021
*If you are a registered student during Spring semester, your Spring SHIP fee provides coverage through the end of Summer.
Immunization and TB Screening (Mandatory)
- Fall: First day of instruction; Hold enforced October 1,2020
- Spring: First day of instruction
To waive SHIP, you must apply for waiver by submitting documentation of comparable health insurance. Waiver must be approved by your host UC.
Students may return the waiver request form using the online form.