BEFORE YOU ARRIVE AT UC San Diego
- Housing is not guaranteed.
- Rental agreement last through the end of the academic year (June). If you leave your housing before the end of the agreement, you may be subject to a cancellation fee. Check all terms and conditions.
- If you apply for more than one housing option, accept only one. You will be financially responsible for all agreements you accept.
International House (UC Affiliated)
- Fall: May 20, 2019 through June 3, 2019; 11:59 p.m. (California time)
- Winter: November (date to be announced)
Application Requirements: Student must have an active UCSD PID.
Notes: Read the I-House FAQs before applying. Admission to I-House is competitive and based on your willingness to be an active member of the I-House community.
Give yourself adequate time to fill out the application completely. It will be read and is an important part of the I-House selection process. Unfortunately, some qualified applicants may not be admitted due to space limitations.
Residence Halls and University Apartments (UC Housing)
Add your name to the waitlist if you do not receive an I-House assignment.
Community Housing (Non-UC Housing)
Off Campus Housing Office
UCSD ID/PID is required to search listings
California Housing Board
When should I arrive?
No later than
- Fall: September 19, 2019
- Winter: January 5, 2020
No earlier than
- Fall: August 24, 2019
- Winter: December 3, 2019
Arrive no more than 30 days prior to the start date printed on your visa certificate of eligibility (DS-2019). Students who do not have pre-arranged housing are advised to arrive as early as possible.
Start Date on Certificate of Eligibility (DS-2019)
- Fall: September 23, 2019
- Winter: January 2, 2020
International Student Orientation for UCEAP reciprocity students
Date: September 20, 2019
Time: 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Location: Mandeville B-210
Registration- Register for the EAP-R + Global Exchange orientation session and one other workshop of your choice.
Do not selected “Know the Rules: Your F-1/J-1 Status” since this will be covered in EAP-R + Global Exchange orientation.
International Student Document Self-Check
Deadline: Within 10 days of your program start date
Complete the document self-check.
Complete these important tasks by the deadlines indicated.
If not completed, your UCSD account will be subject a "hold" which will prevent you from enrolling in courses.
Deadline: October 4, 2019
"We are Tritons" Orientation
Deadline: July 27, 2019
Online "We are Tritons"
I-Housing move-in: Check your UCSD email or contract for move-in date.
I-House early arrival: Contact ERC Residential Life office. You will be charged a daily rate for early arrival.
Temporary Accommodations (Non-UC)
- Temporary housing options (from the International Students and Programs Office)
- Solana Beach Host Families
Ground Transport to Campus
Registering for Classes
Preauthorization System for access to courses with prerequisites
- If the class in which you wish to enroll has prerequisites or restrictions, submit your preauthorization request via the EASy (Enrollment Authorization System).
- In your request, include a description of your home university course equivalent to the listed prerequisite.
- Upload PDF documentation supporting your enrollment in the selected course.
- Submit the request.
- You will receive an email notification once the department has made a decision. In some cases, you may be required to supply additional documents such as course syllabi or transcripts.
- If your request is approved, visit WebReg to enroll.
Enrolling in Classes
View your appointment times in TritonLink. All times are California time.
Graduate students usually register after consultation with the department’s graduate advisor. Check with your host department for registration advising.
Check your account regularly to pay your fees and avoid late fees.
Your E-Bill : UCSD sends an E-Bill notice to your UCSD-issued e-mail address when your bill is ready to be viewed and paid. You are responsible for checking your student account regularly and paying any fees that apply.
Health Insurance Fees: Fees will be billed to your account each quarter. See Health Insurance and Services information.
2019-2020 costs and information are listed below.
Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
You will automatically be enrolled in your host university health insurance plan. No action is required.
- Undergraduates: $680 each quarter
- Graduates; $1,300 each quarter
- Fall: September 20, 2019
- Winter: December 13, 2019
- Spring: March 20, 2020
- Fall*: September 23, 2019 - January 1, 2020
- Winter: January 2, 2020 - March 24, 2020
- Spring**: March 25, 2020 - September 27, 2020
- *UCSHIP is effective September 17, 2018, for students who attend orientation the week of September 17, 2018: and September 10, 2018 for graduate students who attend orientation the week of September 10, 2018.
**If you are a registered student during spring quarter or semester, your spring SHIP fee provides coverage through the end of summer.
Immunizations and TB Screening
- Fall: July 15, 2019
- Winter: To be announced
- Fall: September 15, 2019
- Winter: To be announced
To waive SHIP, you must apply for waiver by submitting documentation of comparable health insurance. Waiver must be approved by your host UC.
- Waiver information (Waiver requests are submitted through TritonLink)
- Waiver criteria
- Glossary of insurance terms
|Term||Waiver Deadline||Late Waiver Deadline