BEFORE YOU ARRIVE AT UC Santa Cruz
- Housing is not guaranteed.
- Rental agreement last through the end of the academic year (June). If you leave your housing before the end of the agreement, you may be subject to a cancellation fee. Check all terms and conditions.
- If you apply for more than one housing option, accept only one. You will be financially responsible for all agreements you accept.
College Affiliation and Housing Assignment
The Colleges: Communities of Learning
UC Santa Cruz combines the resources of a world-class public research university with a distinctive undergraduate experience characterized by our college system. Each college is a vibrant living/learning community supported by faculty and staff who provide academic support, organize student activities, and sponsor events that enhance the intellectual and social life of the campus.
All undergraduate students affiliate with one of 10 colleges. Every college community includes students with diverse backgrounds and academic goals. Your college affiliation is independent of your choice of major, and assignments are based upon space availability and student preferences.
Rank your college preferences: You will receive college affiliation assignments and instructions for housing by email. Following the instructions, indicate your top 5 preferences. If we do not hear from you, you will be assigned to one of the colleges.
Don't want campus housing?
If you would prefer to make your own arrangements for off-campus housing, email the UCSC Admissions Office. Provide your full name and UCSC ID number in the email.
On Campus Housing
Campus Housing Office
Contact Campus Housing
The colleges at UC Santa Cruz offer two kinds of living accommodations—residence halls and apartments -- both with access to common dining facilities. Nine of the colleges have both residence halls and apartments, while Kresge College has all apartments. Except for Kresge and Oakes, apartments are generally reserved for sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
- Choices in your college include Housing Themes.
- International Living Center (ILC) at College Nine and College Ten! More than just a place to live, the International Living Center offers a unique living environment fostering understanding and friendship among people from different nations. Half of the ILC's residents are from the US and half are international.
Application Deadline: You will receive instructions at your UCSC e-mail address. Complete the online housing application/contract process by the deadline in the email.
- Fall: mid-June
- Winter: mid-November
Community Housing (Non-UC Housing)
Community Rentals Office (CRO)
CRO provides listings of rooms in shared housing and units available in the local community exclusively to UCSC students and affiliates. Check out the online Renter's Workshop for first-time renters or those renters new to California.
California Housing Board
We strongly urge you to purchase airline tickets AFTER you have obtained your visa and confirmed travel conditions to the US from your home country. When you do purchase a ticket, purchase a refundable/changeable ticket.
When should I arrive?
No later than
- Fall: September 24, 2020 (not applicable)
- Winter: Not applicable
No earlier than
- Fall: August 26, 2020 (not applicable)
- Winter: December 5, 2020
You may arrive no more than 30 days prior to the start date printed on your visa certificate of eligibility (DS-2019). Students who do not have pre-arranged housing are advised to arrive as early as possible.
Start Date on Certificate of Eligibility (DS-2019)
- Fall: September 25, 2020
- Winter: January 4, 2021
International Education Office Events
Fall: September 25, 2020
Winter: Not applicable
Fee: $100 (Does not apply for fall)
Deadline: Within 15 days of your program start date
Instructions: See list of items to take to check-in for review. You will submit items online.
- House Hunters Housing at University Town Center (UCSC students only)
- Hostelling International- Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz Visitor's Bureau
Ground Transport to Campus
- Department links
- Class schedule
- How to use Class Search
- Course catalog
- Enrollment "my.ucsc.edu"
- Enrollment FAQ
- Enrollment calendar
Registering for Classes
Enrolling in Classes
- Enrollment Period
- Fall: July 20, 2020
- Winter: November 19, 2020
- Enrollment Time
Notes: Student ID number and password required. You may need to provide proof of completion of prerequisites for enrollment in the course. If you have completed coursework at your home university equivalent to the prerequisite courses, contact the department advisor for authorization.
Graduate students usually register after consultation with the department graduate advisor. Check with your host department for registration advising.
Check your account regularly to pay your fees and avoid late fees.
- International Student Orientation: $100
- ID Card: $25. Payments must be made in person via cash or check only.
- Health Insurance Fees: Fees will be billed to your account each quarter. See Health Insurance and Services information.
2020-2021 costs and information are listed below.
Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
You will automatically be enrolled in your host university health insurance plan. No action is required.
- Undergraduates: $974 each quarter
- Graduates: $1,646 each quarter
There is a late fee for payment after the deadline:
- Fall: September 24, 2020
- Winter: December 16, 2020
- Spring: March 23, 2021
- Fall: September 26, 2020 - January 3, 2021
- Winter: January 4, 2021 - March 28, 2021
- Spring/Summer*: March 29, 2021 - September 17, 2021
*If you are a registered student during Spring quarter, your spring SHIP fee provides coverage through the end of summer.
Immunizations and TB Screening
- Fall: September 26, 2020
- Winter: TBA
To waive SHIP, you must apply for waiver by submitting documentation of comparable health insurance. Waiver must be approved by your host UC.
- Fall: September 15, 2020
- Winter: December 16, 2020
- Spring: March 15, 2021